Important Dates

  • Born: March 16, 1975
  • Diagnosed MFH Sarcoma: December 2008
  • Died: February 23, 2011

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Florida, Fishing and a Pelican - March 27, 2011

I haven't been here for a few days. Actually it's been much longer than that. I used to get up early and sit down at the computer before anyone else was up and that would be my time to write down most of my thoughts, save them in the draft folder and go back later to finish up. I still get up early, and sometimes I write, but much of it just remains in draft. Here's one that's been a draft for a while.

Warren, one of Pete's friends, just got back from a family trip to Florida the other day and he shared this story about taking his young son out fishing while down there:

My family and I went down to the Flordia Keys for a couple of weeks. We had lots of different activities planned - horseshoe tournaments, swimming with dolphins, riding our Harleys, and fishing on a private charter, etc. Our fishing trip, however, kept getting pushed back because the wind would kick up and the captain didn't to be out in rough water with my four year old aboard. We finally went out on March 15th. We had been thinking about Petey, knowing how much he would have enjoyed fishing down here and also because his birthday was the very next day.

The captain ran the boat out and we started fishing near the Seven Mile Bridge. My son, Ryan, caught a number of fish during our outing. In fact he caught the first fish of the day, a nice size Grouper, but we had to throw it back because they weren't in season. At one point, Ryan spotted a huge pelican up on the bridge and asked what it was. The captain said, "Thats a pelican, Ryan, and we will call him Petey the Pelican." My wife and I looked at each other. Obviously, the captain had no idea about our friend Petey, nor how much he had been in our thoughts that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment