Important Dates

  • Born: March 16, 1975
  • Diagnosed MFH Sarcoma: December 2008
  • Died: February 23, 2011

Sunday, April 24, 2011

What Story Could They Tell? - April 24, 2011

The other morning I pulled out a box filled with an assortment of beverage glasses that Pete had bundled in newspaper for safe storage when he packed his belongings and moved in with us. As I unwrapped this mix of odds-n-ends, most displaying something to identify their origin, I could guess that some Pete had collected himself, while others must have been given to him by friends as I know he was never in Hawaii, Arizona or Texas.

I set each one down and sorted them according to type - beer glasses, 2 with Yankee insignias (Pete was a Phillys fan), another from the Subway Series, another simply shaped like a football. Did he attend games or did one of his friends bring back a souvenier because they thought he might like to know they were thinking of him? Which of his friends remembers how Pete came to posess the  glass eblazoned with Bud Lite "Bubble Boys" or the one from the Pilot House or from Applebee's? Did they represent a birthday celebration or other notable event? All are in pristine condtion except for the one advertising "Pete's Wicked Ale". That one looks like it was used often because the screen printing is worn and faded.

Then there are the shot glasses. I'm pretty certain that the one from Puerto Rico is a memento of when he and Rod S. and several others went there to visit Timmie P. What memory, though, does the shot glass from Point Pleasant represent? And who gave him the one from Arizona?

It was difficult looking at those empty glasses and wondering why Pete brought them here. Each must hold a story, some reason why he wrapped them so carefully, but for now they remain silent.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Reggie
    I would like to thank you for the encouragement and support You have given Gary.He has really appreciated it. Comments on his blog have been a life line when he hasn't had the energy to email or text.He had his last Chemo treatment yesterday,so I am in the mode of holistic recovery now.Planning ahead for good food and a healthy routine that Gaz can stick too.He does love anything chocolate.
    There is book I read once by Joanne Harris who wrote Chocolate..called blackberry wine and it starts off with all these bottles of wine in a cupboard chatting together about the year they were made and what the summer was like..I liked the idea.
    Most of us collect objects because they carry memory and act as a trigger to recall memories.And then as you have observed..people must have given Pete some because he already had some...its a funny thing but thats often how collecting starts.
    I can imagine your sadness as you unpacked these.They are Gaps of knowledge and drinks not drunk.I am thinking also that some good times were had with those glasses and new stories could be created around them...Gary has been saving all his plastic pottles from his drugs and is thinking of making alcohol jellies in them at some stage..To celebrate when he is back on track. hmmmm. Whether this happens or not I am not sure..but the process has been fun and the planning.
    I just checked back on your blog as I thought I had left a comment after Pete's Passing,but I couldn't find it.I feel regretful about that as you have been in my thoughts and prayers and will continue to be.
    Such a hard thing you are Juggling.I spend time these days thinking about words alot and what they all mean in particular.They are things that can be perfect or totally inadequate..I hope mine are o.k.
    Regards KAT

    ReplyDelete