Important Dates

  • Born: March 16, 1975
  • Diagnosed MFH Sarcoma: December 2008
  • Died: February 23, 2011

Thursday, August 13, 2009

1st Chemo Down, More to Follow - August 13, 2009

The first chemo treatment, an IV infusion of gem/tax (Gemcitabine and Taxatore aka Gemzar and Docetaxel) is done. All went well, he has had no adverse reaction, but the doctors had said that he should not have any problem until perhaps after the second, and even then it may take several treatments before he notices anything unpleasant.

He's got a full calendar of appointments. Chemo on Tuesdays at MSKCC in the city, and then Thursdays there will be CT scans and white blood cell monitoring at their satellite in Basking Ridge, NJ. He was told that this would most likely go on for the next 6 months, so surgery is on hold until then.

My biggest concern is his breathing. We don't really know for sure whether the difficulty is associated with the cancer in his lungs or is it anxiety/weather related since we've had such miserable humid conditions. I'm hoping it's the second.

We switched rooms around. It was good, since it gave all of us something to focus on and keep our minds and hands occupied with something other than the treatments and wondering how things would go, etc.

Since we had to pack up the "computer room" first, store everything from there in the family room, paint what was going to become the "new computer room" and reassemble everything, we've been without internet access for a few days. I have to say the whole thing went very smoothly. The dogs were a bit confused, especially Scrat. I spent quite a bit of time on the floor taking apart and putting back together the computer furniture (too big to fit through doorways otherwise) and poor Scrat kept trying to snuggle up to me or get in my lap or lick my face every chance he got.

But it's done and I'm back to tracking my meals and exercises and spinning the wheel for my points. I just wish everything else in my life was back to normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment