Important Dates

  • Born: March 16, 1975
  • Diagnosed MFH Sarcoma: December 2008
  • Died: February 23, 2011

Friday, August 14, 2009

Is It the Chemo? - Friday, August 14, 2009

When Pete came home from MSKCC on Tuesday, he looked to me like someone who had been through a difficult time. He was pale, and though he tried to be "up", it seemed to be an effort, so unlike his usual self.

He said he felt fine and that the chemo was not a problem, but by the next morning he admitted he was tired and chose to stay in bed instead of joining me on our morning walk. He was quiet and rather pensive most of Wednesday, but Thursday morning he said he was fine and we went for our walk around the reservoir.

On our walk he told me that he was again having trouble breathing and that he had not slept well in several nights. It was plain to see that he was tired, as the pace he set was not our normal speed. I'm tall (5'7"), but he's 6'3" and for both of us a good part of our height is leg. Most people I walk with have trouble keeping up with me and tell me I'm a speed walker. One of the reasons that I like walking with him is because I have to hustle to keep up with him. Thursday's walk was more like a stroll.

He passed on the walk again this morning. Again, he didn't sleep well, and said that he thought he had run a slight fever over night. He looked even paler this morning, so I was getting more concerned. He got up when I came back from my walk and I made him a Swiss cheese omelet and an English muffin for breakfast and we sat and talked and drank coffee before he retreated back to bed.

He napped off and on throughout the morning. I had a physical therapy appointment at 1, and when I got back, Bruce and I went to run some errands. On our way home he and I talked about mowing the lawn after dinner, but as we pulled in the driveway, there was Pete on the riding mower, just about finished with both front and back yards (it's about 1/2 acre in size). When I looked at him I was surprised and happy to see that his color was back to normal. He said that he had started feeling better and better as the day went on and so decided the lawn needed some serious cutting.

One of his buddies was coming down for a visit this evening. Pete had called him this morning and said that he wasn't feeling up to taking the boat out, so they were just going to hang out. By the time Domingo arrived, however, Pete was just about done preparing the boat so off they went, fishing poles at the ready.

I'm hoping that these not-so-good days since the chemo were due more to nerves and anxiety than to the actual chemo. Tuesday is the next infusion. That one will take 3 hours, twice as long as the first one. They will repeat the one med and introduce the second, which is the one that reportedly has some not-so-pleasant side effects.

No comments:

Post a Comment