Important Dates

  • Born: March 16, 1975
  • Diagnosed MFH Sarcoma: December 2008
  • Died: February 23, 2011

Friday, October 1, 2010

Day 3 Ends, Day 4 Emerges

With Pete hooked up to the infusion pump and iv fluids we left Beth Israel and started off walking but about a third of the way back to the Lodge Pete suggested that we hail a cab, and that we did. Pete collapsed on the bed as soon as we were in our room and I went back down to see if I could get an extra set of bedclothes. I was told that they had no spares and I would have to purchase a set from one of the surrounding stores
That would have to be put on hold because I had to take care of the laundry, so back upstairs. I gathered the sheets, pillowcases, Pete's t-shirts and the bed pad and went down the hall to the laundry. Both washers and dryers were in use so I left a note on my pile that I would be checking back shortly. The machines had timers on them and all showed over 30 minutes so I decided that I would see if I could locate a store that had sheets.

The Lodge is directly across the street from the Manhattan Mall which houses a JC Penny's. I found a set of single bed linens on sale for $12.99 and was back at the Lodge before and of the washing machines were free. There was a young woman in the laundry room and we began to chat.

I learned her name is Janice and she's from Texas, 34, married and has a son, about a year and a half old, back home being cared for by her parents. She was diagnosed with a cancer early in her pregnancy and was originally being treated a MD Anderson in Houston. However, she changed to MSKCC when she learned that there is a doctor at that cancer center who has been pioneering a special surgery related to her particular cancer, one that involves her liver.

We talked for some time and my heart just broke for this vibrant young wife and mother who has been travelling this difficult road. To look at her you would never suspect she is going through this horror. I recall so often seeing cancer patients portrayed looking like victims of the Holocaust, thin, frail, ashen with deep sunken eyes, and I have seen some who match my mental picture. But many more are like Pete and Janice, so close to looking "normal" that you would never guess that the carry this disease inside.

I felt confident as I put both beds back together and had my spare set of sheets on hand that the night would go smoothly. Pete had been sleeping off and on since we had gotten home. Once I had one bed set he moved into that and I put the other together and put on the TV.

A little after 9 Pete was up. His shirt was drenched as were the sheets, so I opened the new set and remade his bed and hung the damp sheets. I had rigged something up using the closet doors and hangers that would allow them to air dry. He changed his shirt, which I hung on a hanger, and went back to bed.

Around 11 he was up again, and this time went into the shower. I took the bottom sheet off of my bed since the first sheet was still damp and hung the latest sheet from the other closet doors. At 1:10 he was up again. By this time he had given up on wearing a t-shirt and was sitting up on the edge of the bed, his body glistening with sweat, beads running down his face and torso. The first sheet was usable, so on it went and the latest got hung to dry.

About 4:30 we went though the routine again. I couldn't fall back to sleep so decided it was as good a time as any to update the blog, so here I am. Pete hasn't eaten anything since that banana yesterday morning. The only other food he's had was a bagel as we were driving in on Wednesday and a chocolate chip cookie around noon that day. I bought a cinnamon-raisin bagel, one of his favorites, and some cream cheese at Chelsea Market yesterday with the hope that he'd at least eat that. It went into the refrigerator (absolutely no food or drink, other than water, allowed in the rooms here) as soon as we got back and I kept offering it to him throughout the afternoon and evening, but he refused each time. Hopefully, he'll eat it for breakfast this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment