Important Dates

  • Born: March 16, 1975
  • Diagnosed MFH Sarcoma: December 2008
  • Died: February 23, 2011

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Day 6 of 10 (Cont'd) - October 3, 2010

We've turned the corner and things are rapidly improving. Pete is pretty much back to his normal self.

I believe that things happen for a reason.We don't always understand at the time they happen, but eventually, we find that there was a purpose or, at the very least, a lesson that we can take from it.

Pete has, from time to time in the past, been annoyed at me when I asked to accompany him to appointments or when I questioned him about his medications. I can appreciate that as an adult, having his mom shadow him and quiz him might be perceived as me not having confidence that he can take care of himself. That's not it at all.

The events of the past several days highlight exactly why I have wanted to be included in the details of his healthcare. Had I known that he was weaning himself off of the drugs and that he suddenly stopped taking them, I would have known to make certain that he continued to take them during this treatment and could very possibly have prevented the distress it caused both of us. He needs to understand that I am a partner in this whole thing so that if something happens and he is not able to properly address a situation, I can provide the backup and assistance to assure that things go as smoothly as possible. Liken it to a co-pilot, standing by, ready to step in if needed.

Earlier, I included a link to describe and explain the very real condition referred to as "chemo-brain". If someone receiving chemo, particularly at a dose as high as Pete is getting, were to engage in some type of legal contract, it would most likely not be binding, precisely because of the mental fog caused by the drugs.

I hope that he now realizes why it is so important to have someone who is kept informed of treatments, meds and all things involved with his healthcare.

No comments:

Post a Comment