Important Dates

  • Born: March 16, 1975
  • Diagnosed MFH Sarcoma: December 2008
  • Died: February 23, 2011

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

A Special Day, a Difficult Day - March 16, 2011

Peter Arthur Bothner, III
Born: March 16, 1975
Time: 4:05 PM
Weight: 8 lb 15 oz
Length: 21 in.

Pete was never one for celebrating his own birthday. I think that's another thing he inherited from me. I've been thinking about the day he was born.

He was my second child and I had taken the Lamaze course, so I knew what to expect. Once labor started it progressed very quickly. My contractions were so close by the time we arrived at the hospital I was sent directly to delivery with no time for prep. I can remember so vividly the doctor asking me if I felt like pushing. I told him I didn't, and asked him if he wanted me to push. He seemed a bit confused by my question, but he told me I could, so I did. One big push and the doctor got really excited and said "stop!", so I did. He was really surprised at that point and asked me again if I felt like pushing. Again, I said no, but to let me know when he wanted me to push again. He told me he was ready, so I gave another push. I had full control, I felt no pain, and so it went. A few very controlled pushes and he was out. He was a big boy right from birth, but it was such an easy delivery for me; very short labor and very mild, a natural birth, no drugs.

Today, as on the day of his birth, I have no physical pain but the emotional pain is excruciating. I know he's nearby, I can feel him, but not being able to reach out and touch him, hug him and feel his arms around me is beyond any heartache I have ever experienced before.

I know I'll get through today, it just isn't going to be easy.

2 comments:

  1. It's amazing how vividly a mother remembers child birth. You brought such a wonderful human being into this world. Pete was an angel on earth and, now that he is in heaven, I am sure he is guarding over all of us. Domingo and I think and speak of him almost every day. While I know today must be difficult, I hope it brings you happy memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. warm hugs from Houston!!! Thinking of you and so glad you shared this.

    ReplyDelete