Important Dates

  • Born: March 16, 1975
  • Diagnosed MFH Sarcoma: December 2008
  • Died: February 23, 2011

Friday, February 18, 2011

If You Love Someone... - February 18, 2011

There have been times when I have thought about this "Hallmark" phrase, though I don't know if it actually originated in a greeting card:

If you love someone, set them free. If they come back they're yours; if they don't they never were.

Children, parents, family members and friends are gifts that we should cherish as long as they are with us. A number of years ago, my daughter fulfilled her dream of moving across the country to make a life for herself in California. As painful as it was for me, I let her go with more than a few tears, but also with my blessings and wishes that she find happiness wherever her life might take her. I could find comfort knowing that, no matter how far apart we were physically, we could always pick up the phone or send a card, email or text, or board a plane for an actual visit.

These past few days, watching my son suffer so terribly, enduring excruciating pain that I am helpless to dispell, I know I have enough love to set him free. What is most agonizing for me is that no matter how much I wish and hope for an end to his torture, no matter how much I pray to God, my son remains on this earth, battered and broken by an enemy that is slowly taking over his body. He has fought so long and so valiantly he is deserving of reward, so please, God, love him enough to give us a miracle or take him where he will find peace and freedom from pain.

2 comments:

  1. Reggie - now that I am a mom, I understand what you are saying. My heart hurts for you, Pete, and your family. Know that you all are being thought of and prayed for across the miles from Seattle. Please give Pete a big hug for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reggie - just found the quote as I was looking for something else. It is from Richard Bach. He is the author of Jonathan Livingston Seagull.

    ReplyDelete