Important Dates

  • Born: March 16, 1975
  • Diagnosed MFH Sarcoma: December 2008
  • Died: February 23, 2011

Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Soul of a Man - February 24, 2011

Texts, emails, FB messages and comments have been pouring in from so many people whose lives have been touched by a giant of a man with a loving heart that could comfort and embrace family, friends, even strangers, and make them smile. He seemed to have the ability to sense when someone needed a shoulder and his were broad and strong. I hope to post at least some of the beautiful, inspiring, humorous and human stories so that you, the readers, can get a glimpse into Pete's gentle soul.

This one is from Harley:

Its been a long while since I had a day like this, I cant get the words right. Any words right for that matter....aside from being sick for the past few weeks, what happened today really hit me like a brick to the face. For a long while i was being negative about everything. ALWAYS. One night around 1am I was up bitching as usual and my chat pops up. "hey Harley, u need a hug or something?"

Immediately I busted out laughing like an idiot by myself. It was my old friend Pete. For the next hour he proceeded to tell me what a pain in the ass I was in HS and how I had a knack for working his last nerve all the time in class. In the nicest way possible of course he told me this lol He never mentioned anything to me about being sick that convo, or the next few conversations we had, he just talked about everyday stuff. Always made me laugh n drilled in my thick skull that to every negative there is a positive. Simple math he'd call it, I told him i sucked at math and Mr Clemente scarred me for life, i fear the math. We said gnite and i didn't hear from him for about 3 weeks. i didn't think anything of it.

chat pops up its Pete with some smart remark to get my attention, but I missed it. I went to his page to leave him a comment and a comment caught my eye. It was about his cancer. I was floored, mad and speechless, and most of u know I am never speechless. I didn't leave a comment that night, I didn't have words.

i had words for him though the next day he msgd me. I told him I didn't know who i was more angry with, him for letting me just find out after all the time we spent talking about important purposeful things or the big guy upstairs. At that moment the light went on in my head. This wasn't about me... it was about how our chats gave him peace of mind, even if it was just briefly, because I didn't know and he was teaching me to be optimistic & enjoy life, without feeling like I thought he only felt that way because of the inevitable or for pity.

 He single handedly turned a pessimist to an optimist, no shit, he changed my outlook on so many things, and for him I will always look for the good in a bad situation. I will miss u my friend, I wont be able to come say my "see u someday soon" but please please please i hope you know u changed my life for the better. and im glad I annoyed you...it was only because u always needed a hair cut :p I know you are at peace, and I hope all your friends & family can be somewhat comforted knowing that.

1 comment:

  1. Dearest Regina, Words alone cannot express the feelings of sorrow I have for you and your family. I recently learned of Petey's illness about 3 weeks ago. I feel terrible that he had to suffer for such a long time. I unfortunately know what you and will be going through since I loss my beautiful son in 1998. You never are the same, ever. This is not the way the progression of life should be. I did not watch my son suffer but can understand the strength and love you have to see your beautiful boy go through this fight against cancer. You and I are connected in a way that many cannot understand. I hope when anyone speaks to you if they do not know the correct thing to you they just tell you that they are there for you. My daughter had her cancer diagnosis in May of 2010, she had her operation and treatments before and after surgery and prognosis look good. But we do not know what life will bring, since I saw you last years ago I have been through so much the worse being losing my son and my daughter's illness. Questions go unanswered and people say how strong I am, but I really am not. A moment rarely goes by that I do not think of him. Petey will be in my thoughts and prayers along with you and your family. I send to you many hugs and love, and always know that your son's persona and presence was of the utmost highest regard in the thoughts of everyone who knew him.

    ReplyDelete