Important Dates

  • Born: March 16, 1975
  • Diagnosed MFH Sarcoma: December 2008
  • Died: February 23, 2011

Monday, February 21, 2011

Reaching Out - February 21, 2011

There is a quiet, rhythmic woosh-pah from the oxygen machine next to Pete's bed. His breaths are becoming more shallow and the periods when the breaths stop come more often and last longer as the hours pass. He is surrounded with love and gentleness, a mirror of how he has lived his life.

Yesterday I placed a call to a very dear friend of mine and asked if she could come and offer prayers. She sat next to his bed, her hand on his shoulder, her words a source of comfort to me. I hope the others shared my feelings.

She stayed through most of the day and we talked. My neices, Adrienne and Chris, commented that it was good to see me relax for a while.

For several days now, Pete's head has been very warm, but whether it was a nurse or myself who took his temperature it had always been normal and there was no indication of a fever. Last evening, when the night nurse arrived, however, his temperature was up to 100.2 so she began by giving him a Tylenol suppository and administered some drops that are in the hospice "comfort kit".

He had a peaceful night, distrupted only when we had to give him his scheduled nighttime meds.

There is so much more I need to write, but right now I cannot. Continue to hope, as we here do, for Pete to find peace.

4 comments:

  1. Pete,
    May your guardian angels bring you comfort, ease your pain, give you strength and guide you on your journey across that horizon which we cannot see...but where we will all be reunited again one day (and go fishing).
    Peace and love,
    Kathy Josa Briant

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reggie,

    I am one of Gina’s friends from back in the journalism days. I reconnected with Pete when this all began, actually searching for Gina. I think I was the first one to make the “shark attack” joke following the arm surgery, of course not knowing the actual reason. Since I found out, I have told Pete one thing … “You keep fighting that bitch.” When you started the blog, I checked in here and there, but have been remiss for some time. I’m all caught up now. I have very much enjoyed the postings of a brave, if not tired, woman.

    What I want to say is that Pete has done an incredible job “fighting that bitch” and a lot of that is because he has you in his corner. On many occasions you expressed concern over feeling helplessness and uncertainty in interfering in your son’s life. Neither could be farther from the truth. You are the definition of helpful (and hopeful) and your assistance in his times of need, though sometimes seemingly unwanted, has given him what no other could - his mother’s love.

    As you pray for peace, know that all things happen for a reason. This may be the last thing you want to hear right now, but I truly believe we must witness suffering so that we all might appreciate what we have even more. God knows I do. You may not see it now. It might not even be for you to see, but rather for others to look upon what has happened in the last two years and take away from it what they will. Pete has been a pillar of strength. You have been his pillar of hope. May peace reach you both.

    Vinnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pete and Family~
    I am praying for a peace that passes all understanding for each of you.
    I continue to pray without ceasing.
    God bless you all!
    ~Tina K.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The weaver (old celtic poem/ prayer by David Adam)

    I weave into my life this day
    The Presence of God upon my way,
    I weave into my life this hour
    The mighty God and all his power
    I weave into my sore distress
    His peace and calm and no less
    I weave into my step so lame
    Healing and helping power of his name
    I weave into the darkest night
    Strands of God shining bright,
    I weave into each deed done
    Joy and hope of the Risen Son

    God Bless Gary

    ReplyDelete